Where and How to Recycle or Dispose of Christmas Trees in Kansas after Christmas
2022 and in January 2023
In many urban and suburban areas, Christmas trees are collected from curbside during the first 2 weeks in January. Be sure to remove all
remove all lights, wire, tinsel, ornaments, nails, stands, other
NON-Organic decorative materials and other materials that are not part
of the original tree. This includes tree stands also. Flocked trees are usually accepted, but not artificial trees. Large trees (larger
than the standard 6 - 7 ft tree) may need to be cut in half to
be acceptable by your
garbage hauler. But scrroll down this page for more specific
information and local links.
What happens to the trees? In most cases, the trees are chipped and made into a mulch
which is usually made available, free to city or county residents.
Important: Never burn your Christmas tree in a fireplace or wood stove.
Burning the tree may contribute to creosote buildup and could cause a
Tips: Always follow the links (usually the name of the city or county) below for updated information, as these agencies often wait until the last minute to change dates or
update their information (it's government, remember?). If your area is
not specifically mentioned below, contact your trash collection agency and inquire!
See this page for local options to easily recycle your Christmas holiday lights
If it has just snowed; see
this page about how to make snocones from real snow!
Your kids will love it!
Click here for the list of winter sleigh ride locations!
See our easy recipes to
Chocolate Yule log
click here to make your own low-fat,
low calorie but delicious Egg Nog
! Then come back to our
other website in March to
local Easter Egg Hunt for your children
! There are affiliate links on this page. Read our disclosure policy to learn more.
Kansas: Where and How to Recycle Your Christmas Tree After the Holidays January 2023
- Lawrence, KS - Recycling your Christmas tree following the holidays is a great way to return it to nature! Place live-cut trees at the curb or alley by 6:00 am
on your collection service day throughout the month of January. Christmas trees are collected separate from trash and given a second life as
wildlife habitat. Please remove all artificial items including tinsel, lights, ornaments and tree stands. For more information, please call 832-3032
or email [email protected].
- Lenexa - Lenexa residents only - (913) 982-3900
- Merriam to Merriam residents only - (913)
- Bonner Springs -
- North Park, 1200 S. 134th St.,
Bonner Springs, Kansas, 913-422-7010
- Wyandotte County Park, 126th &
State Avenue, Bonner Springs, Kansas. (913) 573-8327.
- Edgerton - Big Bull Creek Park, 20425 Sunflower Rd., Edgerton, Kansas, 913-438-7275
- Johnson County, Kansas - Johnson County free Christmas
tree recycling starts the day after Christmas. Johnson County
Government will have three locations where people can recycle their
natural Christmas trees for free. Johnson County Parks & Recreation
will accept post-holiday contributions of natural Christmas trees at
Trees can be dropped off at all three sites from
December 26 through January 31 during regular winter park hours, 7:30 am to 8 pm., except at Shawnee Mission Park which opens at 6 am in
the winter. Crews will mulch some of the trees for use on park
trails and in landscaping while others will be used to improve fish
habitat in park lakes. No other yard waste will be accepted at these
locations. Wrapping or any plastic should be removed from the trees
as well as any remaining decorations or lights. There is no charge
for tree disposal and this program is open to anyone regardless of
residency. For additional information call the John Barkley Visitor
Center at Shawnee Mission Park (913) 888-4713. For the
northeast area of Johnson County Shawnee Mission Post, see this page.
- The northeast corner of the marina parking lot
in Shawnee Mission Park, 7900 Renner Road, Shawnee.
- The Heritage
Park marina parking lot, 16050 Pflumm Road, Olathe.
- The north
side of the marina parking lot in Kill Creek Park, 11670 Homestead
- Kansas City, Kansas
- Alvey Park, 4834 Metropolitan Ave., Kansas City, Kansas, 913-573-8327
- City Park, 2601 Park Drive, Kansas City, Kansas, 913-573-8327
- Stony Point Park, 531 N. 86th St, Kansas City, Kansas, 913-573-8327
- Wyandotte County Park, 600 N. 126th St., Bonner Springs, Kansas, 913-573-8327
- Missouri Organic, 1260 Alma St., Kansas City, Kansas, 816-483-0908
- North - Leaf and Brush Drop-Off Site, 11660 N. Main
St., Kansas City, Missouri, 816-483-0908
- East Bottoms - Leaf and Brush Drop-Off Site, 1815 N. Chouteau Trfy., Kansas City,
- Southeast - Leaf and Brush Drop-Off Site, 10301 Raytown Road, Kansas City,
- East - Missouri Organic Recycling, Inc., 7700 E. U.S. 40, Kansas City, Missouri,
- South - Suburban Lawn and Garden Yard Waste Recycling Center, 201 W. 139th St.,
Kansas City, Missouri, 816-941-2438
- Lansing - Transfer Station, 24967 136th St.,
Lansing, Kansas. (913) 727-2858
- Leavenworth -
- Transfer Station, 24967 136th St.,
Lansing, Kansas, 913-727-2858; Leavenworth County residents only
- Municipal Brush Site, 1803 S. 2nd St., Leavenworth, Kansas, 913-682-0650; Leavenworth residents
- Leawood -
- Leawood City Park, 10601 Lee Blvd., Leawood, Kansas, 913-663-9154
- Ironwoods Park, 14701 Mission Road, Leawood, Kansas, 913-663-9154
- Tomahawk Park, 3999 W. 119th St., Leawood, Kansas, 913-663-9154
- Resource Recovery Park PDA, 2101 SE Hamblen Road, Lees Summit, Missouri, 816-550-1612
- Lenexa - Little Mill Creek North Park, 7900 Cottonwood, Lenexa, Kansas, 913 477-7100
- Olathe -
- Kill Creek Park, 11670 Homestead Lane, Olathe, Kansas, 913-438-7275
- Heritage Park, 16050 Pflumm Road, Olathe, Kansas, 913-438-7275
- Yard Waste Facility, 1100 N. Hedge Lane, Olathe, KS 66061, 913-971-5178; Olathe
- Yard waste collection facility, 34849 state Route Z (Floyd St.), Orrick, Missouri, 816-770-3607; Orrick
- Overland Park -
You can drop off your tree from December 26 through the first Sunday in January, at the following locations:
Please remove all lights, tinsel,
ornaments, presents (yes, sometimes gifts are found), and tree
stand. For more information, contact Jim Twigg, environmental
programs coordinator, at 913-895-6273 or by email at
- Arboretum & Botanical Gardens, 8909 W. 179th St., Overland Park, Kansas, 913-895-6273
- Youngs Park, 7701 Antioch, Overland Park, Kansas, 913-895-6273
- Quivira Park, 11901 Quivira, Overland Park, Kansas, 913-895-6273
- Indian Creek Recreation Center, 10308 Marty, Overland Park, Kansas, 913-895-6273
- Paola -
- Miami County Transfer Station, 23765 W. 327th St., Paola, Kansas, 913-745-1912
- Wallace Park, 5 Wallace Park Drive, Paola, Kansas, 913-259-3620.
- Prairie Village -
- Franklin Park, 4798 W. 88th St., Prairie Village, Kansas, 913-385-4647; Prairie
Village residents only
- Porter Park, 4601 Tomahawk, Prairie Village, Kansas, 913-385-4647; Prairie
Village residents only
- Taliaferro Park, 2900 W. 79th St., Prairie Village, Kansas, 913-385-4647; Prairie
Village residents only
- Sedgewick County, KS -
- Cheney, E. South Ave. and Garfield
- Clearwater, Aquatic Center Parking Lot
- Colwich, 115 N. 3rd St.
- Derby, 2801 E. James
- Garden Plain, the Water Tower
- Goddard, Means Park
- Kechi, 107 Sioux St.
- Maize, 201 S. Park
- Mount Hope, 400 S. Thomas
- Mulvane, 117 E. Main St.
- Park City, 6801 N. Hydraulic
- Valley Center, Veterans Park
- Shawnee County, KS -
- Waste Management Customer Convenience Center, 17955 Holiday Drive, Shawnee, Kansas, 913-631-8181
- Theater In The Park (Shawnee Mission Park), 7710 Renner Road, Shawnee, Kansas, 913-438-7275
The Shawnee County Solid Waste Department's Household Hazardous Waste facility
accept all electronic waste for recycling. There is no charge for E-waste with the exception of CRT TVs and monitors. The cost for CRT disposal is
19 inches or less is (Prices may have changed!) $15, 20 inches or larger is (Prices may have changed!) $30. For additional information, please call 785 286-4381.
- Topeka, Kansas - Join the Forestry Division in our
efforts to recycle. Bring your Christmas trees to the Forestry
Site at I-70 and MacVicar Road and let your tree be
recycled into mulch. Other drop-off sites will be
Crestview and Oakland Community Centers. Disposal fees for Christmas
trees will be waived from December 26 through January 31. The
disposal site is open Monday to Saturday from 8 am to 12 noon and 1 pm to
4:45pm year-round (except holidays) for
leaves, brush, tree
branches and grass clippings. Chips produced from the trees will be
reused by the Horticulture section as mulch for flower beds. Call
368-3700 for more details. Please help us by removing all tinsel,
ornaments, string, and wire from your
- Wichita, KS - take your old live Christmas
trees to one of the locations listed below:
Boston Park, 6655 E. Zimmerly, Kansas
Buffalo Park, 10209 Hardtner, Kansas
College Hill United Methodist Church, 1st and Erie, Kansas
Earhart Environmental Magnet School, 4401 N. Arkansas, Kansas
Sedgwick County Extension Education Center, 7001 W. 21st St. N, Kansas.
Great Plains Nature Center, 6232 E. 29th St. N., Kansas
Old Cowtown Museum, 1865 Museum Blvd., Kansas
Osage Park, 2121 W. 31st St. S., Kansas
South Linwood Park, Hydraulic and Mt. Vernon, Kansas