Whether you want to cut your own tree, pick a live tree and have it cut for you, buy a tree already cut or buy a living tree you can plant, this page provides detailed listings of South Dakota's
choose-and-cut Christmas tree farms, places to buy pre-cut (also called pre-harvested and fresh-cut) trees, stands, sleigh rides,
hay rides and related winter events and fun. Some listings are for tree farms, others are tree lots, and some only offer hay rides, sleigh rides or other winter events. READ EACH LISTING to know what each facility offers. The farms are listed further down this page, so scroll down the page!
Since this service is free and open to ALL Christmas tree farms, not just those who belong to an association or pay for an ad, like almost all other websites
do, this is the most complete and current listing available! Help me keep this page complete and up to date, by
reporting any corrections needed or suggesting farms to add!
See these resource pages:
- Our Christmas Tree guide with photos and descriptions of
more than 2 dozen varieties of Christmas trees, along with a simple comparison chart! And a PDF print version to take to the farm with you!
- The A-Z of getting your tree and caring for your tree, and
- Tips to make your tree last longer and not drop needles.
If it has just snowed; see
this page about how to make snocones from real snow!
It costs almost nothing and your kids will love it!
- If the name of the farm is blue with an underline; that's a link to their website or Facebook page. Click on it for the most current hours and information.
- ALWAYS email or call the farm or store BEFORE YOU GO
- many farms have closed in the past year, and of course, we won't know until the season starts and we find they aren't open! Call to confirm their supply, their hours
and whether they have trees, are allowing choose-and-cut or just precut trees; and which attractions or winter activities are available.
All three can change during the short Christmas season, due to weather, demand and the farmer's business conditions! Farms get sold, shut down or run out of trees, and they don't all update me every day, let alone every year. For
more tips to make your trip fun and successful, click here
DON'T DRIVE OUT THERE IF YOU CAN'T REACH THEM (by phone, email or find current information on their website or Facebook page!
- And please tell the farmer you visit in South Dakota that you found their farm
here! I need the farmers to realize that you found them here so that they will keep their information up to date!
If you know of any tree farms I missed and want to
information, or provide feedback about a farm or the website
, please let me know! There are affiliate links on this page. Read our disclosure policy to learn more. After Christmas, click here to find how
how and where to easily recycle or dispose of your Christmas tree!
And to recycle used, broken or old Christmas lights and electronics
See this page for local options to easily recycle your Christmas holiday lights
Looking for more info?
Updates for December 2022
December 2022: Tree supplies are looking good, but expect prices to be WAY up this year. It's always smart to get to the tree farm early and tag or reserve your tree, if they
allow it. Many tree farms allow tagging starting in mid-November.
And next Spring, you'll want to take your children to a free Easter egg hunt
see our companion website to find a local Easter Egg hunt - (www.EasterEggHuntsAndEasterEvents.org)
. It's the ONLY website that is updated every Easter for all Easter Egg hunts in
Christmas tree farms, lots and activities, sorted by county
Click on Resources above, if you need a county map
- Mannings Garryowen Tree Farm - Have wreaths, Santa's sleigh pictures, crafts, gift shop, featuring hand-crafted figurines.
Burbank, SD. Phone: 402-393-0181. E-mail
[email protected]. Directions: Burbank, SD; I-29 north to Exit 31 (Hwy 46), 1/2 mile west, 1/2 mile south. Open: the day after Thanksgiving and every weekend until Christmas; 9 am to 5 pm.
Christmas tree varieties:
U-Choose and Cut your own: Scotch Pine
- Rocky Gardens - Christmas trees-you choose
and you cut, Christmas trees- you choose and we cut, Precut Christmas
Koopman Drive, Milbank, SD 57252. Phone: 605-432-4871. Email:
[email protected]. Open: Weekend afternoons, 1 pm to 4 pm starting the weekend after Thanksgiving until Christmas or sold out.
Directions: 3 miles north east of Milbank on Highway 12 and 1\4 mile
Click here for a map and directions.
Cut trees available at our
stand in Milbank 7 days a week during daylight hours beginning the
weekend before thanksgiving. Payment: Cash, Check.
You-Choose and You-Cut varieties: Austrian Pine, Balsam Fir,
Black Hills Spruce, Blue Spruce, Canaan Fir, Colorado Blue Spruce, Red
Pine, Scotch Pine, White Pine.
You Choose and We cut varieties:
Austrian Pine, Balsam Fir, Blue Spruce, Canaan Fir, Colorado Blue
Spruce, White Fir (Concolor Fir), Red Pine, Scotch Pine, White Pine.
PreCut varieties: Colorado Blue Spruce, Red Pine, Scotch Pine, White
- Emerald Forest At Stonegate - Christmas trees-you
choose and you cut, Christmas wreaths, Christmas boughs, trees bagged, trees
tied, tree shaking provided, trees baled, saws provided, free hot chocolate,
gift shop, porta-potties
48355 265th Stret, Brandon, SD 57005. Phone:
[email protected]. Open: after Thanksgiving through the first week in December6; Hours 10 am to 5 Saturdays, 12
pm to 5 Sundays. Directions: Two miles east of Brandon, South Dakota on Aspen
Boulevard, 3 miles south on 484th Avenue and 1/3 mile west on 465th Street.
Follow the red and white signs.
Click here for a map and directions.
Open beginning Thanksgiving weekend and
weekends until the 10th of December. Payment: Cash, only.
You-Choose and You-Cut varieties: Balsam Fir, Black Hills Spruce, Blue
Spruce, Colorado Blue Spruce, Douglas Fir, Eastern White Pine, Norway Spruce,
Scotch Pine, White Pine, White Spruce.
- Tannenbaum Tree Farm - Choose and cut Christmas Trees, saws are
46989 W 57th Street, Sioux Falls, SD 57106. Phone: (605) 362-0998.
Directions: Tea-Ellis Road is .9 miles west of South Sertoma Avenue. Travel a
half mile south past 41st Street on Tea-Ellis Road watching for a low wooden
sign on the left, before the "T" in the roadway. Open: 2 to 5 pm, Monday trough
Friday, 10 am to 5 pm on Saturday and 2:30 to 5 pm on Sunday. Five varieties of
- Brady's Christmas Tree Farm
- Christmas trees-you
choose and you cut, Christmas trees you choose and we cut, Precut Christmas trees, Living Christmas trees (to plant later),
265 Antler Drive , Yankton, SD 57078. Phone: (605) 665-4726.
Open: Saturday and Sunday from 9 am to 6 pm, Monday to Friday
from 1 pm to 6 pm. Directions: call for directions. Payment:
Cash, only.. Landscaping trees too.
(ADDED: December 15, 2016, Suggested by a visitor)
A visitor writes on December
15, 2016: "Just moved here from VA and drove past the sign
this week. Thought I\'d check it out with my family. The owner
was fabulously sweet and helpful."
Do you know of any Christmas tree farms or other special Christmas and winter events in South Dakota? Please tell me about them - Click here to write to me!
Want to cut your own from a national forest in South Dakota?
This link has a easy to use map to find trees you may cut in a national forest in your area
. Just hover (position) your mouse over the
mouse on that page in your area. You'll need a permit. Here are the conditions: (for more information see the Black Hills National Forest website
- Cost: $10 (for Christmas 2006).
- Varieties: Ponderosa pine, western juniper, and white spruce trees
- Size: maximum height is 20 feet and the whole tree must be cut, not just the top! Additionally, any branches that you do not take with you must be cut so they lie flat on the ground with a stump of no more than six inches in height.
- The permit must be attached to each tree before you remove the tree from the woods; you may receive a citation otherwise - EVEN if the tag is in your car.
- Trees are for your personal use only and you may not resell them.
- Of course, there are no refunds for uncut trees, unused permits, and the permits expire on December 31.
- Permits to cut up to five trees are allowed per person.
- Trees may not be cut in developed recreation sites, on Forest Service administrative sites, at active timber sites, the Black Hills Experimental Forest near Rochford, the Black Elk Wilderness, the Beaver Park area near Sturgis, or within Spearfish Canyon.
Where to buy Christmas Tree cutting permits:
At these Forest Service offices:
Contact: Rick Hudson (605)
673-9239 or 605-673-9200 ,
r2 blackhills [email protected]
Contact: Gary C. Chancey. Phone: (605) 673-9289,
Randy Jost (605) 673-9200,
- Spearfish - Northern Hills District Office, 2014 North Main Street, Monday to Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm
- Sundance - Bearlodge District Office, Highway 14 East, Monday to Friday 7:30 am to 5 pm
- Custer - Forest Supervisor's Office, Highway 16 North, Monday to Friday 7:30 am to 5 pm
- Hill City - Mystic District Office, Highway 16 East, Monday to Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm
- Hot Springs - Fall River District Office, 1801 Highway 18 Truck Bypass, Monday to Friday 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Newcastle - Hell Canyon District Office, 1225 Washington Blvd., Monday to Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm
- Rapid City - Mystic District Office, 803 Soo San Dr., Monday to Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm
Permits are also available by mail from the Forest Supervisor's Office, 25041 North Highway 16, Custer, SD 57730. Enclose a check or money order in the amount of $8 for each tree up to a maximum of five trees per individual. The Forest Service will mail permit tags and cutting instructions.